The book makes the claim that during our childhood we have been taught beliefs that aren’t necessarily ours but the beliefs and the “dream” of the planet. This is what taught us how to live and how to dream.
In order to break these beliefs and live a life full of personal freedom, you need to change your entire system of beliefs. You can do that by living by the 4 agreements:
- Be impeccable with your word
- Speak with integrity.
- Say only what you mean.
- Avoid speaking against yourself or gossip about others.
- Use the power of the word towards truth and love.
- Don’t take anything personally.
- Nothing others do is because of you.
- What others say and do is a projection of their own reality and dream.
- When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering and you will gain a huge amount of personal freedom.
- Don’t make assumptions!
- Find the courage to ask questions and express what you really want.
- Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama.
- We tend to fill information gaps with assumptions because we are afraid to ask – be aware! → nobody sees the world as you do!
- Also in relationships: don’t assume the other person knows what you need!
- The resulting good, clear communication there would be no wars, no violence.
- Take action to nurture this new habit!
- Always do your best!
- Your best is going to change from moment to moment (healthy vs. sick) – manage your energy!
- Under any circumstance, simply do your best to avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.
- This agreement is about the action of the former three. It’s about living your life intensely and it will make you feel intensely happy.
- Doing your best is taking action because you love it, not because you expect a reward. (that’s how most people function and why they don’t do their best. → Rewards will come but you are not attached to the rewards.
- This habit is what puts ideas into action
- This is also about living in the moment and letting go of the past.
- When you are not doing your best you are denying yourself the right to be you.
These are 4 powerful rules of life that anybody can implement. For me the 4th agreement has the most power: I think I am doing quite well with the first 3 but in some areas of my life I am not always doing my very best. I get carried away, becoming distracted, and always looking for something new. I will make an effort to always do my best with the things I am working on.
If the summary caught your attention, you can buy the book here.
I am reading A LOT of books lately and to remember more of what I read, I summarize them and give my thoughts on it. I thought why not share it with you. If you buy the book through the links at the end of the post, I might get a little bit of commission at no charge to you.